Monday, June 30, 2014

Master Bedroom = Sanctuary

Since the arrival of our son over 15 months ago our bedroom has always been overloaded with laundry to be put away, an unmade bed and full of colorful décor. It worked for us. That is until we moved to Corpus Christi, TX. The house we left behind in Oklahoma was over 2500 sq/ft and now we have a 1200 sq/ft townhouse. Needless to say we needed to downsize and still make it feel like home. To me a master bedroom is your retreat. It is a place to de-stress and to kick up your feet after a full day. We opted to go with a more muted color scheme in our new place. Our master bedroom is filled with black, grays, tans and bright white. At first I wasn’t so sure about this plan but after living with it for a few months I am head over heels in love with how it has turned out.
 
                                                                                                                                                             


The comforter is really what inspired this whole design. We were strolling through Target when we spotted this cotton comforter, holy comfort! Not only is it the most comfortable bedding we've ever purchased but it has such a luxe look to it without being too much. Those leather pillows on the bed have been with us since we first got married. We've got them all over the house. To be completely honest I don't know how they have survived two moves, a dog and a growing little boy but they still look just as nice as they did the day they were purchased. The tan pillows I found here in Corpus at At Home which is a home decor store owned by Garden Ridge. They are opening tons of new stores so keep your eyes open and you MUST go when you find one. I swear it has revolutionized shopping for home goods. My husband has a very modern style and I like the more frou frou girly things, hence the french inspired pillow and the fur throw. Mixing two people's taste is tough, but when you find that perfect mixture it sure feels like a sanctuary. 



Our master bedroom is pretty large considering we are located in an apartment complex, so I was pumped to be able to use my beloved greyscale "London" table. My husband had this custom made for me for our anniversary last year and it is killer. The only down side is the shape makes it hard to place. Initially we planned on putting our television in this space but decided against it. We figured it'd be better to opt out of that idea and actually talk before bed. I have to say this seems to have made an impact on our marriage (more on that in another posts though). The suitcase chair to the left was made by my crafty husband. He joined Pinterest back in February and was so inspired to try his hand in making something from the pins he pinned. It took me over 4 months before I actually attempted to recreate a pin, he's an overachiever! My hubs found a vintage suitcase, grabbed some pinstriped fabric, and some fluffy filling and utilized the massive stash of wood we already had. It took him one night to make this! ONE NIGHT!!!! It took me three days to figure out how to do a craft meant for toddlers. Well played Pinterest, well played.






All I contributed to this little beauty was the fur pillow which I found at Wal-Mart. This was totally a HIS and HERS effort....obviously, lol.

                     


Quite possibly my favorite element in our bedroom, minus my husband of course, is my black globe. This was my Mother's Day gift and I love love love it. Black is my favorite color so when I saw this bad boy I couldn't resist. I talked about it for weeks upon weeks. Now it has a home a-top my beloved table. For those of you who like black as much as I do and love this globe then scurry over to your local Home Goods and scoop one up if you see one. These sell out quick!

 
                                                                                                                                                         

We're a blanket hoarding kind of family and I loathe piles of blankets in the corner of a room. I found this adorable canvas tote at Home Goods and what made it even better was that I bought it on sale! I swear I get a high when I score a good deal. We rolled up our blankets and folded one on top so we didn't have a bunch of random a** colors messing with our monochromatic color scheme. Yep, I'm totally OCD like that!

I'm challenging myself to do a series of home tour blog posts. Mainly so I have a fire under my rear to finish decorating our new home, but also to show how living in a smaller space can still be luxurious and glamorous. I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I did writing it. Now I'm off to light my sandalwood candle and snuggle up in our bed to read a book, haha that's not true. I'm the mom of a toddler so realistically I'm off to go scrape food off of my couch. Glamour at its finest!!!








 



 
Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment