Friday, June 27, 2014

Traveling Essentials When Traveling with Baby

I met a beautiful woman on my travels to Canada last month. I overpacked and although I brought my trusted Ergobaby, I also brought  babyB's stroller, as well as a huge carry on tote. I was in way over my head. Picture this: my 5'2 and 125lb stature wearing a 7 month old baby and pushing a stroller filled to the brim with my and baby's carry ons--all while pulling the world's heaviest suitcase and trying to maintain my fabulosity.  So back to the story: I land in Toronto and the uber helpful stewardess not only assists me with strapping babyB in his Ergobaby, but she also carried both my carry-ons off the plane (big shout out to Porter Airlines for their exceptional customer service). After disembarking, the cutest guy ever helped me assemble babyB's car seat and stroller. Then my journey began.
I found my way to baggage claim and managed to get another fella (not as cute as the 1st) to grab my heavier-than-a-dead-body, suitcase off the conveyor belt. Ready to explore Toronto, I followed signs to the nearest elevator. There I was, pushing a stroller with my left hand and pulling my suitcase with my right all while bouncing up and down to soothe babyB--in short I looked like a hot mess! Unable to find the exit I asked an employee and was then advised I had to take a ferry. On my way to the ferry, a lovely woman asked me if I needed help and I reluctantly said yes. I didn't realize how much pain my arms were in until she took over! I expected her to just help me onto to ferry, but she pushed the stroller all the way to the car! Being a mother herself, I picked her brain about motherhood (as I often do). She gave me tips on child rearing and the importance of savoring every moment as they run away from us very quickly. We exchanged cards and have been in contact ever since then. I was so grateful for our serendipitous encounter and learned that flying with baby was meant for 2 and not 1. But I am a single mother. This trip taught me the days of overpacking for 100 "just-in-case" events would need to end if I wanted to make traveling with baby an easier task. Not that I have it all figured out but here are five tips on making traveling with baby easy-er.
1. Wear your baby. From now on I will opt to leave the stroller at home. Using a carrier means that your baby can happily continue napping as you get on and off planes and rush to the next gate. A recent rule change allows you to wear your baby through security, so you don’t have to disturb him if he is sleeping. They just do a quick swab of your hands (to check for explosives, as if a mother has time to fiddle with making a bomb) once you get through.

2. Stock up. Take a well-stocked diaper bag, including diapers, wipes, bottles (unless you breast feed), snacks, a sippy cup, a book or two, and some quiet toys. If the child is old enough, a couple of Baby Einstein videos downloaded onto an iPad are great attention-holders for pretty good chunks of time. The iPad is also great for you- in the off chance that you get super lucky and end up with a sleeping baby on your lap for part of the flight. You can quietly catch up on some reading.
3. Feed the Baby on Takeoff and Landing: This is a tried and true tip for flying with babies. Make sure to breastfeed the baby or give them a bottle of milk or a sippy cup of water at takeoff and landing to help their small ears adjust to the plane pressure. And anytime you notice the pressure getting rough on your own ears, be sure to give the baby something as well--whether it be the bottle, boob, sippy cup or pacifier. Don't forget your nursing scarf so you don't offend any passengers.
4. Dress easy. That goes for you and your baby. Don’t put booties or shoes on your baby. At least not through security, unless you don’t mind taking them off, but it’s just an extra step they make you go through. Socks are ok. Also, don’t wear a belt you’ll have to take off at security, or shoes you’ll have to untie and tie again, or a big coat that will get in the way… You get the idea. If you’re flying alone with a baby these things that are normally simple to do are a HUGE PAIN!


5. Travel with adequate gear. There is enough stress in traveling and there's no need to add any more by traveling with scant gear. Invest in a timeless piece like this ergonomically designed spinner it's perfect for traveling moms--it's lightweight, durable and not to mention chic! 


And most importantly, relax. What are your favorite tips for traveling with kids? What has surprised you about traveling with kids?




See a crazed and sleep-less looking mama wearing this season's hottest trends? That would be me. I am Fashnboucou, a 29 year old single mom to a super energetic 8 month old baby boy, with superhero strength. When I'm not busy keeping cords, cellphones and remotes out of his mouth, I am trying to show the world my love for fashion through my personal style and my blog, Fashnboucou, a collection of style for mommies, soon to be mommies and of course your little one.



Head over to Fashnboucou to visit her blog and show her some love!
 


Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory



No comments:

Post a Comment