Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Five Ways To Entertain Your Kids This Summer

School is out and the kids are home. Now what do you do? In my home chaos has not yet erupted because this will be our first full week of no school and some rest and relaxation. Well, no rest and my kids do not relax. Back in May I decided that this year I needed to have a plan for summer. The first part of my plan was to come up with a schedule. Now I am not one for schedules’ especially in the summer, but without some kind of a guide I would have no direction. The second part of my plan is to have planned activities that I can do with all of my children. They vary in age from 15 to 4 months. We are a single income family, so it is important that I stay within our budget on summer fun.

#1 WORK
I know that work does not sound like fun, but your home is a ship and it will not function properly with all fun and no work. So, put together a quick morning routine to get the laundry started, pick up the house, and clean something for 15 minutes. Give each child one special chore. Keep in mind that it won’t be perfect, but it is that training behind the work that matters. Set the timer and make a game out of it. The first one done receives a special reward or privilege.

#2 CREATE
Pinterest is a great tool. Look up “creative play” and see the results. Pick something that is easy, cost efficient and fun. Dive in with the kids. The best memories are made with them, not just observing!



#3 ENCOURAGE
Now on the flip side of the coin, encourage the kids to find their own way to play. They will entertain themselves if left on their own. Even if the first few days they complain that they are bored. Leave them alone. Kids need time without electronics or toys to keep them occupied, it helps their creative juices to start flowing.


 
#4 LEARN SOMETHING NEW
Read some chapter books that may be above your child's grade level. Sit down with them and learn how to create jewelry or make a dinosaur out of paper mache. Go to the hobby store and pick up a leather craft kit or have them take a class on sewing. Many times the classes are offered half price on certain days. The opportunities are endless. Hobbies are great for kids, so in the future they will never be bored. Turn off the TV and see how long they will work on the project. Do some of the project with them, then take them out for an ice cream when they finish the rest on their own!



#5 ACTIVITIES
Look up some free events online in your area.
Go camping.
Take them on a nature hike.
Remember a game or something you used to play as a kid. My kids love to play hide and seek at night.
Catch lightning bugs.
The list is endless. I like to go back to my roots and remember what we used to do as kids outside. There are too many kids playing indoors. Remember the spontaneous kickball games? Give kids a chance to have some great childhood memories with you and some on their own!




 


 
My name is Michelle Knight and I blog at www.momsarefrugal.com. My days are spent with my four sons age 15, 5, 3, and 4 months. They keep me very busy and very young. When I am not home schooling, cleaning, blogging, or selling my Avon you can find me on my ipad feeding my interest addiction! 









If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

4 comments:

  1. Great post. I could not agree more that being bored is not something to be fixed. We have found that when a child is bored and left alone he/she finds something really interesting to do after a while. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love to spend lots of time at the library during the worst heat of the summer. Helps to pass the time and it's free air conditioning :) Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to try to make it to the library at least once a week. They usually have events and activities for the kiddos, especially during the summer. It's good to check the website or ask for a flyer from your local branch.

      Delete
  3. Great ideas! We always need fun summer activities!

    ReplyDelete