Monday, March 31, 2014

Generation Z Babies and Technology

Those born between 1995 (loosely, some say it starts at the year 2000) and now are defined as Generation Z, primarily the children of Millennials. They will be the first generation in history to be "digital natives", having had exposure and hyper-connectivity to technology from infancy. 

There are tons of products on the market that expose babies and toddlers to various technology. There are a plethora of apps for mobile devices and tablets geared specifically to our littles. iPhones are incorporated into toys to engage developing minds. We have the ability to FaceTime and Skype with relatives and friends who can't see our babies grow on a regular basis.  And if you have an older Gen. Z child they are probably already subscribing to YouTube channels, use social media abundantly, and unfortunately probably prefer socializing online rather than in real life. Most of Generation Z babies have had a digital presence since before birth, as sonogram photos and 3-D ultrasounds are posted on social media. There are many parents who create Facebook pages for their children from birth. As stated in the JWT Intelligence study, Generation Z babies are digital in their DNA. 



I think about how connected I am and wonder how much more it will be amplified for my kids. When will they start asking for a smart phone? How old will they be when they create their first social media accounts? Will they make fun of my use of Instagram and Facebook, much how I chuckle at the fact that my mom still has her original AOL account? It's a daunting task to try and speculate how and what technology will be in ten years time. It changes so rapidly and our culture is centered heavily on "the now" and what is relevant literally at the moment. 




I am a firm believer in the cliche, "everything in moderation", which I plan to implement with technology for as long as I can with my kids. Right now my girls are 10 months old and don't really have all that much screen time. We FaceTime with family and friends quite often, but other than that try to engage them in other activities. I guess I am trying to "de-tech" them for as long as possible because I know what lies ahead in the future. Not that it's a complete dismal future. I just want my kids to be able to put down their devices and experience life with their eyes, not through a lens to post a video. Or missing the key point because they were too busy texting about it to pay attention. I'm hoping my style of parenting and the values I instill in my girls will help shape them into well-rounded individuals who, as digital natives can still experience the world from a low-tech perspective and take meaning from it.

Cool links for more on Generation Z:

JWT Intelligence Gen Z: Digital in their DNA

The Curve Report: What can we expect from Generation Z?

ASTD: Forget Gen. Y. Get ready for Gen. Z

Wiki: Generation Z



If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment