Friday, April 4, 2014

Angel Gowns

What is a woman to do with her wedding gown once she wears it on her special day? Some put it away in a box to be worn by their future daughter if they are lucky. Some have it professionally framed to be seen everyday. Some simply put it into a box and put it into their basement or attic to never be seen or used again. Something so sentimental is tough to part with. I'm a victim of putting mine in the basement. To be honest I had no clue where it was for sure until today.


I was blessed to be able to wear this gorgeous Maggie Sottero gown. Thinking back to that day is so magical, but it's not the dress that I remember. It's the love exuding between my husband and I. The whole day turned out perfectly!

Last night I was doing some Facebook stalking and saw a link my friend shared. It was about NICU Helping Hands. You can donate a used wedding dress to be transformed into an incredibly beautiful gown for families who have lost their child. I now know what I'll be doing with my old wedding gown.

"Often, we would just wrap little babies just in tiny little hospital blankets or washrags or towels, and we didn't really have much to offer those families," said Amy Vickers, a former NICU nurse who saw a need and volunteered to sew. "It doesn't take the hurt away from them. But it just lets them know that we feel like their baby's life means something." - Lisa Grubbs



photo courtesy of KSDK NewsChannel 5


This program accepts gowns from all around the country and then provides any NICU with these angel gowns. You can find out more information here:
http://www.nicuhelpinghands.org/lend-a-helping-hand/angel-gowns/


If you would like to donate your gown, you can ship it to:


NICU Helping Hands
301 Commerce Street, Suite 3200
Fort Worth, TX 76102

Not only is this just a fantastic idea but it really hits home when you know someone who has lost a baby. One of my dear friends had to bury her son instead of hear him cry his first cry. While I hold my own baby tight and smother him with kisses I will never forget how lucky I really am. Not everyone get this privilege.





If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful way to help these families who are grieving. I am blessed beyond measure to be able to love my girls, but I have experienced the ache of loss and grief of a NICU baby through the eyes of my brother. I will never, ever forget the precious moment I got to hold my nephew. This post moved me to tears. Thank you for sharing this. And you looked radiant on your wedding day!

    ReplyDelete