Thursday, January 30, 2014

Applesauce Cake

I use the crock-pot a lot. It is definitely a time-saving essential for me. Breaking away from twins to cook a hot meal is probably the hardest thing in my routine. So, throwing everything into one pot and letting it sit there all day helps me immensely. I was getting bored of making the same old things all the time, so I busted out my trusty recipe binder (a collection of recipes I have ripped out of magazines/newspapers for culinary inspiration) and stumbled upon a gem - a dessert recipe I could make in the crock-pot?! I originally was interested in the meatball stew recipe that was on the same page. I made it a few years ago and it came out great. I guess I just wasn't into the cake or didn't notice because I was excited about the meatballs, but when I saw it this time around I couldn't wait to make it! I LOVE desserts, but don't have much time these days to make the homemade brownies and cakes I used to. I had almost all of the ingredients on hand for this recipe and it was super simple to throw together. It came out delicious and is the perfect dessert on a cold winter night!


Applesauce Cake
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Slow Cook: 2¼ to 2½ hours


     What you need:


Crock-Pot/Slow cooker
Nonstick cooking spray
Nonstick foil
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
½ cup light brown sugar
1 egg
¼ cup buttermilk
1 cup unsweetened applesauce 
Topping: Bottled caramel sauce whipped topping pecans (optional)



What you do:

1. Coat the slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Place 1 long sheet in the bottom of the slow cooker bowl with the ends hanging over the handles.


2. Whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.





3. Beat together butter and brown sugar on high speed for 1 minute. Beat in egg. Scrape down sides of bowl and on low speed beat in buttermilk (mixture will look curdled). Beat in applesauce. Add the flour mixture to bowl and beat on low speed until combined.





 4. Spread batter into slow cooker. Place a clean dish towel over slow cooker and put cover on top. Cook on HIGH for 2¼ to 2½ hours or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.




5. Use foil handles to lift cake out of slow cooker.





6. Let cool. Cut into slices and garnish with caramel sauce, whipped topping, and pecans if desired.

                                            (This recipe is from Family Circle's Sept. '09 issue)


Tips:

I found this great website that has a few different substitutions for buttermilk using common household ingredients that are probably already in the pantry. This saved me the time and money it would have took going to the store to purchase a carton of buttermilk that I would have used for this recipe. The rest of it would have gone bad in my fridge. I used the lemon juice because I had some on hand. I have used this technique before and you would never notice the buttermilk was missing.

Reheat leftovers in the microwave for 15 seconds and tastes like it just came out of the crock-pot!

Hope you enjoy this recipe! Let us know how it comes out!


2 comments:

  1. this sounds amazing! makes me want to get a crockpot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slow cooking desserts is awesome! makes baking easier if you don't have a lot of free time to spend in the kitchen.

      Delete